So here I am, 8 weeks into working from home. And I must say, it is glorious in so many ways.
Here are a few of my highlights:
- I haven't set an alarm since my last day at my previous job - can you imagine??
- I can start working much earlier because I don't have to "prepare for the day" and commute.
- Since I start so early, I can end much earlier, often by 3 or 3:30.
- During my "breaks" I can actually do productive house things, like prepping a meal, folding laundry or showering, instead of looking through Facebook.
- I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. This has pros and cons, but it does give me more opportunity to make a healthy lunch even though I didn't pack and prepare it in the morning.
- I can take mini meditation, yoga and walk breaks. Technically I could do this in an office, but it's not broadly accepted yet.
- I am a local at my coffee shop. When I do leave my house (on my own, slow schedule) I often choose to work from a friendly coffee shop. That is often a place to socialize, get the neighborhood gossip, and get caffeinated. Praise the local coffee shop owners for having wifi and a friendly face handing me my order. At least once a week I get to come out of my hermit shell for a period of time.
Yay! Let's all work from home! Errr hold on, there are also some downsides that I didn't foresee. Read the next post for some cons to working from home.